May 20, 2012
Jerusalem Day is an Israeli national holiday celebrating the reunification of Jerusalem and the establishment of Israeli control over the old city at the end of Six-Day War. The Six-Day War was one of the most successful military campaigns in Israeli history and saw the West Bank, Gaza Strip, East Jerusalem, the Sinai and the Golan fall to Israeli control.
I've been told that it was a good thing that I only spent the weekend in Jerusalem and didn't extend my stay. Although most year's Jerusalem day passes in relative calm, there is often a lot of jeering between settlers and hard line Zionists that parade through the Old City and young, angry Palestinians and Arabs that sometimes escalates and gets out of control.
Many organizations hold demonstrations and rallies calling for peace on Jerusalem Day and I spent the latter half of mine at work and sitting amongst the olive trees on the hill of the village, passing the time away. Happy Jerusalem Day.
Welcome to my musings from the Holy Land. I'll be your host as you follow me on a journey of discovery and faith as I set out to Israel/Palestine this summer. The posts in this blog and the views, opinions and comments therein are my own and do not reflect anyone's official views but my own. With that I hope you enjoy! Shalom, Salaam, Peace
Information
At the end of the Winter 2012 term I was offered on opportunity to volunteer as an intern in the community of Neve Shalom, Wahat-as-Salam, the Oasis of Peace, a community of Israeli Jews and Arabs. Founded in the 1970s, NSWAS was founded as a cooperative village, proving to the world that Arab/Palestinians and Israelis can live together in peace and prosperity.
I will be interning at Peace College within NSWAS this summer. Peace College offers courses in conflict prevention and peace-building and I will interning with them for a period of four months this summer.
NSWAS and Peace College have given me an opportunity to travel to Israel/Palestine, something that I have wanted to do since I was 12 years old.
Here I will post entries and pictures of my experiences within Israel and Palestine.
Blogger: Chris MP
Mission: World Peace
Place: Israel/Palestine
I will be interning at Peace College within NSWAS this summer. Peace College offers courses in conflict prevention and peace-building and I will interning with them for a period of four months this summer.
NSWAS and Peace College have given me an opportunity to travel to Israel/Palestine, something that I have wanted to do since I was 12 years old.
Here I will post entries and pictures of my experiences within Israel and Palestine.
Blogger: Chris MP
Mission: World Peace
Place: Israel/Palestine
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear all,
Please keep comments respectful. Any derogatory comments will be removed.
Keep it clean. Keep it real.
C.