May 15 is commemorated as the day that signaled the exodus of the Palestinian people during the Civil War in the British Mandate of Palestine and the Israeli deceleration of independence and the subsequent invasion of the Arab Armies that sparked the 1948 war.
It was truly a day of total human failure to find peaceful alternatives to differences and difficulties.
May 15, 2012 is going to be a day to remember for me. My first Nakbah day in Israel-Palestine. For me the day past in relatively the same way as every other. The thing I noticed the most were the planes. All day, F15s and F16s screamed overhead. I spent an hour over lunch just watching there holding patterns over the village. A constant reminder of the immanent hostilities that could erupt at any moment.
In the end, the day past with relatively little violence I've been told. There were protests across the country, including silent protests and commemorations in the village, and the BBC reported some violence in the Palestinian territories and around the border areas, but by usual standards, it was relatively uneventful. In fact the Israelis and the Palestinian reached an agreement concerning some inmates who had gone on hunger strike, so I suppose it was good day after all.
Now that night has fallen, it's been relatively calm. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing that many warplanes in the air.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18073381
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/palestinians-clash-with-idf-in-minor-nakba-day-protests-across-west-bank-1.430611
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/minister-tells-israeli-university-to-rethink-ceremony-marking-palestinian-nakba-1.430134
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/05/2012515773236523.html
Just a reminder that all the views and opinions posted here are my own and do not reflect anyone the view of anyone else.
Please keep comments civil or they will be removed.
Shalom, Salaam, Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear all,
Please keep comments respectful. Any derogatory comments will be removed.
Keep it clean. Keep it real.
C.