Shabbat Shalom
I'm afraid that my knowledge of Jewish
traditions is pretty minute. Hopefully I will do a good job of explaining
Shabbat is the Jewish holy day, or days
rather at the end of the week. It celebrates the day of rest, the seventh day
after God created the Earth and the Heavens in six days. For secular Jews it’s
a time to relax and reflect on the week and spend time with family in friends.
For more devout Jews there is a set of rules to follow for Shabbat. As it is
the day of rest, it's forbidden to work or partake in creative tasks. There is
a list of about 30 or so creative tasks that should be avoided over Shabbat in
order to achieve true rest.
While it was great to have Shabbat dinner at
the Hostel last week, I felt like I was getting a very genuine Shabbat
experience, but I did this past weekend. I was invited by one of my co-workers
to come for Shabbat dinner and despite the fact that the family is very
secular, I decided to follow the 30 rules for a day and do my best to
"keep" Shabbat. It turned out to be a very relaxing day, all though
at times it was a little tedious. From sun up till sun down I didn't write,
cook, "sow or reap." It was nice to have time to myself and think.
My co-workers family can trace its roots
back to Jewish traditions in the former Yugoslavia and Austria. Both sets of
ancestors arrived in the British Mandate in the 1930s, escaping the violence
and the holocaust that would claim most of their families back in Europe.
They've been established in Israel now for two and half generations. My
co-workers husband is a professor of physics, there adult son who joined us is
an industrial designer and their daughter will be beginning university in the
fall.
It was soo good to eat with people again!
Dinner at the volunteers compound is pretty quiet which is strange for me. At
home and at University, dinner is for cooking together and eating together, so
I was very grateful to have been invited over and very grateful for the spread,
which is laid out in front of me; holloum cheese, olives, a quiche, crepes and
latkes decorate the table.
We talk a lot about heritage, what it means
to be an Israeli, the right to return and what that means for the Palestinians.
For this family, like many of the families I have met, it's about living
together. It's only when we live at the expense and demise of others that it is
unacceptable.
I tell them about Canada, my heritage, where
my family came from. It's interesting to get there take on Canada. I think that
I might have scared their kids away from visiting though, too cold. They are
astonished that Canmore still gets snow even at this time of year.
Welcome to my musings from the Holy Land. I'll be your host as you follow me on a journey of discovery and faith as I set out to Israel/Palestine this summer. The posts in this blog and the views, opinions and comments therein are my own and do not reflect anyone's official views but my own. With that I hope you enjoy! Shalom, Salaam, Peace
Information
At the end of the Winter 2012 term I was offered on opportunity to volunteer as an intern in the community of Neve Shalom, Wahat-as-Salam, the Oasis of Peace, a community of Israeli Jews and Arabs. Founded in the 1970s, NSWAS was founded as a cooperative village, proving to the world that Arab/Palestinians and Israelis can live together in peace and prosperity.
I will be interning at Peace College within NSWAS this summer. Peace College offers courses in conflict prevention and peace-building and I will interning with them for a period of four months this summer.
NSWAS and Peace College have given me an opportunity to travel to Israel/Palestine, something that I have wanted to do since I was 12 years old.
Here I will post entries and pictures of my experiences within Israel and Palestine.
Blogger: Chris MP
Mission: World Peace
Place: Israel/Palestine
I will be interning at Peace College within NSWAS this summer. Peace College offers courses in conflict prevention and peace-building and I will interning with them for a period of four months this summer.
NSWAS and Peace College have given me an opportunity to travel to Israel/Palestine, something that I have wanted to do since I was 12 years old.
Here I will post entries and pictures of my experiences within Israel and Palestine.
Blogger: Chris MP
Mission: World Peace
Place: Israel/Palestine
I vote that next year you recreate a spread like that of last Friday's meal. Yum as.
ReplyDeleteAgreement with Emily! Hollumi!
ReplyDelete